In many urban and suburban areas, Christmas trees are collected from curbside during the first 2 weeks in January. Be sure to remove all remove all lights, wire, tinsel, ornaments, nails, stands, other NON-Organic decorative materials and other materials that are not part of the original tree. This includes tree stands also. Flocked trees are usually accepted, but not artificial trees. Large trees (larger than the standard 6 - 7 ft tree) may need to be cut in half to be acceptable by your garbage hauler. But scrroll down this page for more specific information and local links.
What happens to the trees? In most cases, the trees are chipped and made into a mulch which is usually made available, free to city or county residents. Important: Never burn your Christmas tree in a fireplace or wood stove. Burning the tree may contribute to creosote buildup and could cause a chimney fire.
Tips: Always follow the links (usually the name of the city or county) below for updated information, as these agencies often wait until the last minute to change dates or update their information (it's government, remember?). If your area is not specifically mentioned below, contact your trash collection agency and inquire!
If it has just snowed; see this page about how to make snocones from real snow! Your kids will love it!
See our easy recipes to make a Chocolate Yule log and click here to make your own low-fat, low calorie but delicious Egg Nog ! Then come back to our other website in March to find a local Easter Egg Hunt for your children ! There are affiliate links on this page. Read our disclosure policy to learn more.
The annual Sonoma County Christmas Tree Collection Program runs the first two
weeks in January. Christmas trees are recycled into mulch and compost. H.
Residents have four options for recycling their Christmas tree this year:
1. Cut the tree to fit in your yard waste container or have your whole tree picked up at the curb (select areas). Put your tree in your yard waste container and place at the curb on your regular yard waste collection day. The tree MUST be CUT TO FIT inside the container (4 foot or less sections, please). Trees sticking out of the container can interfere with the lifting arm on the truck. Thank you for your help. Cloverdale, Cotati, Healdsburg, Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Santa Rosa, Windsor and unincorporated Sonoma County have whole tree collection. Place your unflocked tree beside your yard waste container on your regular collection day in early to mid January.
Unincorporated Please visit www.unicycler.com after December 15th for updated information.
Outside of listed days, place tree in yard waste container; cut the tree to fit. Please do not bag your tree.
2. Call (707) 565-3333 for an appointment to have a non-profit in your area pickup your tree. Call before Friday, January 2 to arrange for pickup. The suggested donation for this service is $7 for trees less than 6 feet and (Prices may have changed!) $10 for larger trees.
3. Special whole tree collection for Rohnert Park multifamily complexes: Managers of multifamily complexes in Rohnert Park can arrange to have their tenant's trees picked up by special arrangement. Contact Latisha Richardson at Rohnert Park Disposal at (707) 586-2283 or email [email protected].
4. Free drop-off locations throughout the county. Residents may take up to two trees to any of the following drop-off locations listed on this page at no charge
Also visit the related section on this Sonoma County website. Christmas Tree Recycling Programs by City
Additionally, residents in Cloverdale, Healdsburg, Petaluma, Rohnert
Park, Santa Rosa, Windsor, and unincorporated Sonoma County have the
option of whole-tree collection. Place your UNBAGGED and UNFLOCKED tree
beside your yard waste container on your normal collection day on the
Cotati January 2, 2023 - January 6, 2023
Cloverdale December 26, 2022 - December 30, 2022
Healdsburg December 26, 2022 - January 6, 2023
Petaluma December 26, 2022 - December 30, 2022
Rohnert Park January 2, 2023 - January 13, 2023
Santa Rosa December 26, 2022 - January 6, 2023
Unincorporated Sonoma County December 26, 2022 - January 20, 2023
Windsor December 26, 2022 - December 30, 2022
* Whole tree collection up to 6 feet tall may be placed on the curb.
Unincorporated January 3, 2022 - January 28, 2022 Please visit www.recology.com/recology-sonoma-marin for updated information.
Drop-offs: Residents may take up to two trees to any of the following drop-off locations at no charge. Fees apply for businesses.
most recent version of
the Ball Blue Book
most recent version of
the Ball Blue Book