Disposing and Recycling Christmas Trees in Maryland in 2014
Be sure to remove all ornaments, tinsel, lights, and other NON-Organic decorative materials. This includes tree stands also.
- Baltimore City - Christmas tree mulching services will be offered at the Reedbird Avenue Citizen Convenience Center every Friday and Saturday in January from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. The dates are January 4th & 5th, 11th & 12th, 18th & 19th and 25th& 26th. The Convenience Center is located at 701 Reedbird Ave. Residents may bring bags or containers if they wish to collect mulch for their own use. Community groups are also encouraged to bring bags or containers and collect free mulch for neighborhood gardens, while supplies last. For residents who cannot bring their trees for mulching, the Department of Public Works will offer curbside tree collection from Wednesday, January 2, 2013 through Thursday, January 31, 2013. Residents should set out trees on their regularly scheduled trash collection day at the same location where their trash is collected. All tinsel and ornaments must be removed from trees before they are set out for curbside collection or mulching. For additional information on these and other Solid Waste services, please call 311 or Click here for locations, updated information and more details.
- Baltimore County -Christmas Tree Recycling Collection
begins Monday, January 14. The collection of live Christmas
trees for recycling in Baltimore County will take place over a
two-week period, beginning Monday, January 14, 2013. To ensure
collection of Christmas trees, residents must have the trees out
at the curb no later than Saturday, January 19.
Click here for locations, updated information and more details.
Residents must follow these simple rules when placing their
Christmas trees at the curb to be recycled:
Set out the tree only (no lights, decorations, tinsel, bags, tree stands, etc.).
Only set out trees at the front curb/street; trees will not be collected from alleys.
Baltimore County collectors will pick up Christmas trees in standard trash/recycling trucks, and deliver them to County facilities to be chipped and later used as mulch. Baltimore County residents who live in an apartment or condominium should follow their property manager's rules when recycling their Christmas trees.
Residents who wish to drop off Christmas trees themselves may do so starting Wednesday, December 26, 2012. Christmas trees (no lights, decorations, tinsel, bags, tree stands, etc.) may be taken to one of the three County drop-off locations:
Eastern Sanitary Landfill Solid Waste Management Facility
6259 Days Cove Road, off 11400 block of Pulaski Highway
Monday - Saturday, 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Baltimore County Resource Recovery Facility
201 Warren Road, facility entrance is on Drop-off Drive, off Warren Road, a quarter mile west of York Road and a quarter mile east of Beaver Dam Road
Monday - Saturday, 7 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Western Acceptance Facility
3310 Transway Road, off 4500 block of Hollins Ferry Road
Monday - Saturday, 7 a.m. - 4 p.m.
For additional information or directions to the County's three drop-off centers, please visit Solid Waste Management or call 410-887-2000.
- Frederick County - Please remove all
tinsel, ornaments, lights, tree stands, plastic ties, etc.
before bringing your tree for recycling at any of the county's
eight drop off locations. (Frederick County does not provide
curbside collection of Christmas trees, but many municipalities
and homeowners associations do; please inquire with your local
office for information.)
Drop Off Sites
Reichs Ford Road Yard Trimming Area - 9031 Reichs Ford RD, Frederick, MD 21704
Ballenger Creek Park (second parking lot on the left) - 5420 Ballenger Creek Pike, Frederick, MD 21703
Kemptown Park (lower left parking lot) - 3456B Kemptown Church RD, Monrovia, MD 21770
Middletown Park Recycling Center (area next to maintenance shop) - 7628 Coblentz RD, Middletown, MD 21769
Point of Rocks Ruritan Club (left side of parking lot) - 1637 Ballenger Creek Pike, Point of Rocks, MD 21777
Eyler Road Park Recycling Center (fenced area on right) - 30 Eyler RD, Thurmont, MD 21788
Heritage Farm Park (yard trimmings collection site) - 9224 Devilbiss Bridge RD, Walkersville, MD 21793
For a printable flyer listing all sites click here.
- Harford County - the Christmas Tree Recycling Program has been established since 1989. Over 90,000 trees have been turned in by county residents for recycling saving valuable landfill space. Christmas trees are ground into mulch along with other yard and garden trimmings at the 6-acre paved Composting Facility at the Harford Waste Disposal Center. Throughout the year, residents may visit the Composting Facility at 3241 Scarboro Road, Street, for three 30-gallon bags or cans of free mulch or compost. Residents must supply their own bags or 30-gallon trash cans. Larger quantities of mulch or compost are available for purchasing. This is a very popular program, so residents should call the Harford Waste Disposal Center at 410-638-3636 for availability. Click here to View Trimming Drop-Off Locations.
- More information can be
found at the following numbers.
Anne Arundel County Carroll County Howard County Montgomery County 401-222-6103 410-386-2633 410-313-6444 301-590-0046
Washington County - residents can recycle Christmas
trees at no charge at solid waste facilities.
Clean Christmas trees (two tree limit), with all lights, ornaments and nails removed, will be accepted daily through Jan. 31, excluding holidays.
Trees will be accepted at:
- Forty West Landfill, west of Huyett's Crossroads off U.S. 40, Monday through Saturday, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Greensburg Convenience Center, 13125 Bikle Road, Tuesday to Saturday, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Hancock Convenience Center, 6502 Hess Road, Tuesday to Saturday, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Kaetzel Convenience Center, 2926 Kaetzel Road, Tuesday to Saturday, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Dargan Convenience Center, 2201 Dargan School Road, Tuesday to Saturday, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Phone: (240) 313-2796. Click here for locations, updated information and more details.