Where and How to Recycle or Dispose of Christmas Trees in Pennsylvania in 2016
In many urban and suburban areas, Christmas trees are collected from curbside during the first 2 weeks in January. Be sure to remove all remove all lights, wire, tinsel, ornaments, nails, stands, other NON-Organic decorative materials and other materials that are not part of the original tree. This includes tree stands also. Flocked trees are usually accepted, but not artificial trees. Large trees (larger than the standard 6 - 7 ft tree) may need to be cut in half to be acceptable by your garbage hauler.
In most cases, the trees are chipped and made into a mulch which is usually made available, free to city or county residents. Important: Never burn your Christmas tree in a fireplace or wood stove. Burning the tree may contribute to creosote buildup and could cause a chimney fire.
Always follow the links (usually the name of the city or county) below for updated information, as these agencies often wait until the last minute to change dates or update their information (it's government, remember?). If your area is not specifically mentioned below, contact your trash collection agency and inquire!
- Philadelphia, PA - the City of Philadelphia Streets
Department will be offering Christmas tree recycling. Christmas
trees present a significant seasonal addition to our City's waste
stream. By recycling your tree and returning it to the earth, you
can help reduce the number of discarded trees that end up in
Click here for locations, updated information and more details.
Here's how you can do your part to renew the earth by recycling your tree:
Make sure your tree is free of all decorations
Make sure your tree is not in a plastic bag and is untied
Drop your tree off at one of our three Sanitation Convenience Centers:
3033 South 63rd Street
Domino Lane & Umbria Street
State Road & Ashburner Street
The residential Christmas Tree Recycling Program will run from Monday, January 3 through Saturday, January 14 (closed on Sunday, January 8) between 8 am and 6:00 pm.
Remember, there will be no curbside collection of Christmas trees for recycling purposes. Trees left at the curb will be treated as trash, which means they will not be recycled.
- Allentown, PA - Christmas Trees and yard waste are collected by the Bureaus of Streets and Recycling & Solid Waste on the weeks of January 5th and 19th, 2014 on your recycling night. NO plastic bags, decorations or tree stands. Take trees and other yard waste to the Main Yard Waste Site. Click here or call the Hotline 610-437-8729 for schedule.
Berks County, PA - Christmas tree recycling drop off
Berks Leisure Area, 1901 Tulpehocken Road, Wyomissing, PA 19601. Click here for a list of local municipalities drop off locations.
City of Reading City Park - 11th & Washington Reading Pa 610-655-6236.
Exeter Twp. Trout Run Exeter Pa 19606 610-779-5950.
Kutztown Borough Railroad St. Kutztown Pa 19530 610-683-6131.
Muhlenberg Township 61 & Reading Crest Blvd. Reading Pa 19605 610-929-4727.
South Heidelberg Township Point Rd. Wernersville Pa 610-678-9652.
- Cheltenham, PA - Christmas Tree collections are scheduled for East of Old York Road and West of Old York Road for mid January. They wait until the very last minute to update their website, so follow the link to see the current dates. Remove all decorations from the tree before placing it at the curb.
- Doylestown, PA - Christmas Tree Recycling Announcements will be made each year when residents may drop off their Christmas trees (free of all ornaments, garland tinsel and nails) at the Borough Public Works yard for shredding and recycling. Yep, that's what it says on their website, just "announcements will be made"... not how, where or when the announcementgs will be made. So, you've got to click the link and keep checking their website. That's them thar rocket scientists at the govmint for ya!
- Lower Merion, PA - The Township will begin the collection of trees (which must be placed curbside) during the first two weeks in January on the regular refuse collection day. Because the first week of January is a holiday collection week due to the observance of New Years Day, tree collection will be the same as the holiday collection day. Residents may also dispose of Christmas trees at the Public Works Complex located at 1300 N Woodbine Avenue in Penn Valley. All ornaments, stands and other decorations must be removed. If you need additional information, please contact: Public Works Department Office, Township of Lower Merion, 610-645-6150.
- Red Hill, PA - The Borough maintains an area adjacent to the Borough Maintenance Building where Christmas trees can be dumped during certain days in January. These dates will be posted in December on the Borough home page. Other dumping will be subject to $1,000.00 fine.
- West Chester, PA - Christmas tree collection occurs the first 2 weeks following New Year's Day. Please remove all lights and decorations from your tree and place it out at your trash & recycling collection point. Trees placed out in plastic bags will not be collected.
Carlisle, PA - Christmas Tree Drop-off Event - Bourough's Compost
Post Rd Compost Facility, Carlisle, PA 17013. Phone: (717) 249-4422. Program runs January 3 - January 17, 2012, between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. People wishing to drop off trees must provide proof of residency in the borough of Carlisle.
East Donegal Township, PA - Christmas Tree Collection
Marrietta, PA 17547. Phone: (717) 426-3167. Christmas tree curbside collection by contracted hauler on January, 14 2012. This is for residents of East Donegal Township only. Residents may also make an appointment to drop off their Christmas tree at the Mount Joy Borough Compost Site by calling (717) 653-2300.
- Ephrata, PA - Christmas Tree Recycling, Free curbside Christmas tree pickup. The Borough of Ephrata provides free curbside pick up of Borough resident's Christmas trees. Simply place your tree(s) curbside the same day as your recycling during the weeks of January 4, 2016 and January 18, 2016 and the Borough's hauler will pick it up. If you miss these scheduled collection dates you may purchase a $4 oversized tag at the Borough Business Office. Put the tag on your tree and place it curbside the same day as your recycling for pick up. Please prepare your tree by removing all lights, ornaments, tree stands, and bags. If you have any questions or need additional information call 717-738-9222 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please Note: Martin Mulch Products, located at 55 Woodcrest Drive, will accept Christmas trees. For questions concerning fees, hours of operation, etc. please call them directly at 717-733-1602.
- Elizabethtown Borough,
PA - Christmas
Tree Collection Program
Elizabethtown, PA 17022. Phone: (717) 367-1700. Christmas trees will be collected curbside by a contracted hauler on January 7, 2012 only. This is only for residents of Elizabethtown borough.
- Harrisburg, PA -
Curbside Recycling Program
Harrisburg, PA 17104. Phone: (717) 236-4802. Christmas trees will be picked up on trash days during the first two weeks of January. Residents are asked not to put trees out until it is their trash pick-up day. For residents of Harrisburg only.
- Lancaster, PA - The City will collect Christmas trees at curbside collection during the first 2 full weeks of January. Residents should place trees at curbside on their regularly scheduled collection day where they set out trash and recyclable materials. To be collected for recycling into mulch, trees must be free of all decorations including ornaments, lights, tinsel, and stands. Please contact the Solid Waste Hotline at 291-4744 with questions.
- Lancaster County,
Lancaster County Central Park - Parking lot behind park office on Chesapeake Street, Lancaster PA. Phone: (717) 299-8215. Christmas Trees - $1 per tree donation is requested to support park programs. Mulch is available to the public beginning January 2. December 26 to Jan 15 from Dawn to Dusk
Martin Mulch Products - 55 Woodcrest Drive, Ephrata PA. Phone: (717) 733-1602. Christmas Trees - $2 per tree
Woody Material (Tree Trimmings, Brush, Shrubs), Yard Waste (Leaves, Grass Clippings, Garden Residue, Sod) . Open: Monday to Saturday, Dawn to Dusk.
Zeager Brothers - 4000 E. Harrisburg Pike, Middletown PA. Phone: (717) 944-7481. Christmas Trees - No charge, Pallets (Wood), Woody Waste (Trees & Trimmings, Brush), Yard Waste (Leaves, Garden Residue). Open: Monday to Friday 6 am to 5 pm Check in at office first.
Solid Waste Management Authority (LCSWMA) has assembled a list of Recycling Drop-Off Centers in Lancaster County as a guideline to individuals interested in recycling materials.
- Lebanon, PA - Recycle Your Christmas Tree for FREE. Any Lebanon County resident is eligible for the FREE Christmas Tree Recycling Program. A GLRA License is NOT required. Please provide the Christmas tree only, no decorations. Trees must be under the 10 foot maximum height or cut in half. There is no cost for recycling. The program runs from Saturday, December 26, 2015 through Saturday, February 20, 2016. Hours to drop off are: Monday through Friday, 7 am to 3:50 pm and Saturday, 8 am to 11:45 am. Please check the calendar on our homepage for the New Year's Schedule for Holiday Hours/Closings!
- Lower Allen Township,
PA - Curbside Recycling
Camp Hill, PA 17011. Phone: (717) 975-7575. Please call for Christmas tree collection information. For residents of Lower Allen Township only.
PA - Christmas Tree Recycling
842 W Church Rd, Mechanicsburg, PA 17055. Phone: (717) 691-3310. This is a 24-hour drop-off site.
Mount Joy Borough, PA - Compost Site
159 S Jacob St., Mt. Joy, PA 17552. Phone: (717) 653-2300. For residents of East Donegal Township, Mount Joy Borough only. Drop off trees the first weekend of the month between dawn and dusk.
Palmyra, PA - Curbside Collection Program
Palmyra, PA 17078. Phone: (717) 838-6361. Christmas trees will be collected on trash days during the month of January. This is for Palmyra residents only.
Township, PA - Christmas Tree Drop-Off Program
971 N Colebrook Rd, Manheim, PA 17545. Phone: (717) 665-3827. For residents of Rapho Township only. Drop off trees between dawn until dusk, December 26 to January 31.
- Red Lion, PA - Christmas tree collection will be held from January 4 through January 22, 2016. Place your Christmas tree at your usual trash pickup site Monday through Friday, and the Red Lion Borough Public Works Department will pick it up. Please remove all decorations and bags!
- Rye Township,
PA - Recycling Drop-Off
1775 New Valley Rd, Marysville, PA 17053. Phone: (717) 957-2438. For residents of Rye Township only. This is a 24-hour drop-off site.
- Springfield Township - Wyndmoor, PA - Christmas Tree Collection - Township crews normally begin collecting Christmas Trees during the first week of January. Please place your tree at the curbside on your regular collection day. Please do not "wrap" your tree in plastic as it will be chipped into useful mulch and made available to Township residents at no charge at our property on West Wissahickon Avenue. Please call the Township Building for the availability of leaf mulch and Christmas tree mulch as supplies vary throughout the year.215-836-7600
York, PA - York City staff perform special
curbside Christmas Tree collections generally during the first
two weeks of January each year. Please remove all foreign
objects (plastic bags, lights, ornaments). Place tree at your
designated collection point prior to 6 am on your collection
day during this period of time. After the first two weeks in
January, the curbside hauler will collect any remaining
Christmas trees as regular trash. Each tree replaces a bag/can
of trash in the normal bag limit. Questions? Please contact York
City, Public Works Department at 849-2245. There is also a York
County Christmas Tree Recycling Drop-Off Site - Solid Waste
Flour Mill Rd, York, PA 17406. Phone: (717) 845-1066. This program runs from December 26 to January 31. For residents of York County only. This is a 24-hour drop-off site.
- West Donegal Township, PA - Christmas Tree Collection
Elizabethtown, PA 17022. Phone: (717) 367-7178. Curbside Christmas tree collection by a contracted hauler on January 10th. This is for residents of West Donegal Township.
- Christmas Tree Recycling
Click here for locations, updated information and more details.
City of Pittsburgh Christmas Tree Recycling Program. Christmas trees set out at the curb will be sent to the landfill. Contact the Recycling Division for more information 4122552631. Take Your Tree to one of the following City DropOff Locations Monday through Saturday, 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. to have it composted: Trees must have all ornaments, lights and stands removed. Absolutely no trees in plastic bags or netting will be accepted. These are year-round:
2nd Division P.W. (East End) - on North Dallas Ave at Hamilton Ave: 412-665-3609
3rd Division P.W. (Hazelwood) - on Melanchton Ave., off 5200 block of 2nd Ave: 412-422-6524
5th Division P.W. (West End) - at 1330 Hassler St., off of Hershel & Steuben (next to Herschel Park): 412-937-3054
This is January Only:
Strip District Environmental Services Lot, 3001 Railroad Street (next to recycling dropoff). 4122552773. For more information about all sorts of recycling, see their website.
- Again Offering Christmas Tree Recycling Program.
Click here for locations, updated information and more details.
The Allegheny County Department of Parks is again offering its Annual Christmas Tree Recycling Program this holiday season. Residents of the county can drop off their Christmas trees beginning on Wednesday, December 26, 2012 through Saturday, January 19, 2013 at all nine regional parks during regular hours of operation (dawn to dusk). All lights, decorations, tinsel and stands must be removed from trees prior to drop-off. The trees will be mulched and used in Allegheny County's nine regional parks. Trees may be dropped off from dawn to dusk at the following locations in each of the nine county parks:
Boyce Park - Parking lot by the wave pool
Deer Lakes - Parking lot by Veterans Shelter
Harrison Hills - Parking lot at the intersection of Chipmunk & Cottontail Drive
Hartwood Acres - Parking lot at the mansion
North Park - Parking lot at the swimming pool
Round Hill - Parking lot between Meadow & Alfalfa Shelters
Settler's Cabin - Parking lot by the wave pool
South Park - Parking lot at the swimming pool
White Oak - Parking lot by Poplar Shelter
- Indiana County, PA - Christmas Tree Drop Off Recycling. Following each Holiday season, the Indiana County Solid Waste Authority accepts live Christmas Trees during its Christmas Tree Drop Off Recycling Collection. The collection typically runs from December 24th until mid February. All tinsel, decorations, wires, hooks, and bags MUST be removed from the trees prior to dropping them off at the Recycling Center. This is a drop off collection ONLY! No trees will be picked up at the curbside. All trees dropped off at the Recycling Center are chipped and the material is donated for use in Indiana County Parks. Many municipalities offer tree collection programs. Please contact your municipal office to find out if they offer a similar program.
- Mt. Lebanon, PA - Christmas trees will be picked up at curbside for recycling by our contractor on Saturday in early January (Usually the 2nd and 3rd Saturdays in January. All areas of Mt. Lebanon will be picked up on those dates. Please have your tree at the curb the night before either collection date. The contractor has been instructed to leave any trees that are in plastic bags, so please make sure that your tree is not in a bag and does NOT have any decorations or lights on it, including tinsel. These trees will be recycled into wood chips and any foreign material on the tree could potentially damage the equipment. After January 17, trees may be placed at curbside for regular trash pickup. If you wish, you may drop your tree off at the Public Works facility yourself for recycling during this period. An area will be designated with a sign for this purpose.
Washington County, PA - Washington County is again
offering Christmas Tree Recycling at Mingo Creek Park and Cross
Creek Park. Designated drop sites will be marked with signage.
The drop off sites will be open starting January 2 through
January 25 from 8 am to 3:00 pm. Trees must be clean of
ornaments and tinsel. Please see the
2016 Christmas Tree Recycling Flyer for more information.
Where: Mingo Park, Shelter 1 Parking Lot, Cross Creek Park Boat Trailer Parking Lot. Trees Must be Clean of Ornaments & Tinsel. Mingo Creek Park is 12 miles east of Washington. Cross Creek Park is located off Route 50 near Rea. For additional Information or Directions, please contact the Washington County Planning Commission at: 724-228-6811
Westmoreland County, PA - You can take your tree to
one of many drop-off sites located throughout Westmoreland
County. The trees will either be chipped into mulch by the
municipalities and used to beautify community parks, or placed
in natural areas to provide wildlife habitat. Trees must be
completely bare of decorations when dropped off. This includes
any tree bags or wrappings used to transport the tree to the
drop-off site. For more info, call Westmoreland Cleanways and
Recycling 724-879-4020. There is
no cost to recycle your Christmas tree at these locations,
but some organizations hosting tree recycling sites collect
donations to fund their own projects such as:
• Boy Scout Troup 239 collecting trees at Shramms Farm and Orchards in Penn Township
• The Burrell High School Environmental Club collecting trees at the Lower Burrell Maintenance Building
• The Murrysville-Export Rotary collecting trees at the lot adjacent to the Windstream parking lot in Murrysville